Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Power of words

This morning I logged into facebook and one of my friends had the following as her status "If you "like" this status, I will post something on your wall I like about you, no matter what. Even if we barely know each other or you think it'll be awkward! Make this as your status too if you want a challenge---- why not?"  
So of course, I "liked" her status, then I reposted that as my status. I am now up to about 10 people that I have gotten to say something nice to. I also have had a couple of people say something nice to me. At the same time, I have had to deal in email form with someone that is difficult to communicate with. This person spent years shredding me to pieces with their mouth. Everything about my personhood, my character, my personality, my looks was criticized. With a few well placed words I was reduced to a mess. As I have been dealing with two such extremes today, I started to think. Our words have so much power. We can make someone's day with a well spoken couple of words. We can rip the rug out from under someone with some poorly spoken sentences. In Proverbs 18 we are told that death and life are in the power of the tongue. Not to be cheeky, but God knew what He was talking about, or maybe He created it that way. 
Why do we hold back on saying something nice to someone? What are we hurting or helping by not being open with others. Yes, there are difficult things to be said at times. Let's face it, life is real and sometimes it stinks and there are the difficult and painful conversations to be had. I am not saying let's all live in denial about reality. But, even when you are having a conflict with someone... is it hurting anything to do it in a way that shows respect for their personhood? What happens when we really, truly tell someone what we love or just like about them? Could you imagine what your day would be like if you left the house having said something nice to the people you love... you go to work, or school, or errands, whatever your day holds... knowing that you gave them a smile that they take with them all day. For each frustrating email, phone call, difficulty at work, homework assignment, whatever your day holds, let's just imagine that all throughout your day someone would say something to you that made you smile, or just lightened your mood for a second. All of the sudden the reality of life is not as hard to face. Then let's just imagine for a second that you come home, maybe you are slightly discouraged, tired, even (gasp) grumpy. Yet, you are greeted by people that can't wait to see you, they can't wait to say something to you that helps your burdened day feel a bit lighter. They are so willing to give a kind word or smile to you, because you already did that for them. How does that change your day? your mood? your reality? 
Does this all sound to "pollyanna"? I am not talking about the ridiculous, overly sappy, exaggerated kind of speech. Just think about giving more positive to those around you than negative. It does not cost me, hurt me or take my energy to say something nice to someone. Yet, the smile that they get, or the warm feeling that they get, that just makes my day. Now, just for the record, I can have a sharp tongue. People have told me that I am witty... that is the positive... the negative side of that is, sometimes I can say something that slices and dices without thinking it through. I need to work on that.
I think I really want to be able to give with an open heart, whether my words, actions, or even my thoughts. I really want to be a positive influence in someone's day. It is not always easy. People can difficult, sometimes they are just a real pain in the you know what... but, I want to try. I really like the way I have felt today when I have told ten people (thirteen including my children) something I like about them. I wonder if those people liked being told what makes them special?

No comments:

Post a Comment